Nuffnang Ad

Monday, April 29, 2013

Niko Niko Onigiri @ Damansara Uptown

After 3 weeks away from my blog, I am back again. This time I will bring you a short review on a new shop I found in Uptown. I am going to introduce you to Onigiri, which is essentially Japanese rice ball wrapped with seaweed in a triangular shape with some fillings inside. 

Niko Niko Onigiri is the latest shop which has just opened in Uptown. Besides here, they have another 4 branches in Puchong, Sri Petaling, Cheras Taman Len Seng and Petaling Street.

I guess the rent in Uptown is so expensive that they rented just half a shop lot opposite of Uptown 5; this  is especially noticeable from their walkway into the shop which is quite narrow.  However, their signboard was big enough to capture my attention, so I guess their main target is to cater for take away businesses during breakfast for working people around Uptown. They do have free delivery service but it is limited to within 3km from the shop and comes with a minimum purchase of RM15.

Here is the leaflet I received when passing by the shop. For the full menu, visit their FB page.

What have I tried? I have ordered 2 of the Onigiri Set is which so far I think is worth the money and most simple filling meal of all. First of all, let me explain why it is worth the money: The set only costs RM8.90 and comes with 2 onigiri (you can choose from price range of RM2.80-RM3.50), 2-3 small pieces of fried chicken, miso soup and potato salad. Although it the portion looks small, after finishing the whole meal a moderate eater like my colleague felt very full too. Don't simply judge the two small onigiri, they are really compact and filling. It is about the potion of a bowl of rice.
I ordered Onigiri filling with fried prawn and Chuka Idako (Octopus). I love the Octopus, very fresh, the rice tastes good and delicious with the crunchy seaweed. I love the miso soup and potato salad as well; the potato salad was mixed with some vinegar which combines very well. However, the fried chicken wasn't that great, soggy and had very strong "chicken" smell. 

During my second visit there we ordered Onigiri Tanuki which tastes very nice, really a must try item. I also ordered their Bento set-RM10 but was not that worth compared to the Onigiri set. The only problem I find with this place is their serving time, which is a tad bit longer because everything are made fresh and hot. If you are hungry, I'd suggest you to get something to munch while waiting.

Niko Niko Onigiri, Uptown
No.66, Jalan SS21 / 39, 
Damansara Utama Uptown,
47300 Petaling Jaya.
Contact number: 010-309 1001
Business Hour: 7am-9pm (Mon-Fri), 8am-9pm (Sat-Sun)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share it!