Nuffnang Ad

Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Carabao Restaurant | Johor Bahru

This wasn't my first time to visit the place, but I decided to revisit the place to write about their food. The place is located beside New York Hotel in JB town area, very close to the famous KSL city. It is kinda hard to spot the place except the landmark of New York Hotel especially at night. I missed it while trying to find their signboard; luckily I remembered the place by their wooden house. However, the place has limited parking space, so you can either go early or park at the roadside.
"The name CARABAO actually means ‘Buffalo’ in Tagolog, and the idea was conceived during an inspiring trip to Chengmai in year 2002. The founderAndi decided to name his business venture after his Harley Davidson Biker's friend who by incident is also the name of the famous Thai Rock Band with Folk Style Music - CARABAO."

Anyway, their service that day was kinda bad. We were standing at their entrance for more than 10 mins and no one show up to even to greet us. Really gave us a bad impression. 
Click HERE for the full menu.

The whole place is made from wood is decorated with teak wood furniture, a unique and relaxing ambiance to their customers. The architecture is an inspirational mix of Malaysian and Thai styles.


Tom Yam Seafood Soup-RM 15.90
Tom Yam Soup was nice but very spicy, much spicier than I expected. In fact, if I rate the spiciness between 1 to 10, I'd give it 11! Even I have to surrender to the spicy, really authentic Thai Tom Yam. Ironically, that is the best part of the Tom Yam, hot, sour and leaving you craving for more! You really should bring some friends who are "spicy-savvy" as the potion is enough for 3 persons. Try it out if it is your first time.

Chicken Kar Pau-RM14.90
It looks like the Chinese Kung Po Chicken at first but when we try it on, it truly something special to us. We never tried this kind of unique taste before, not even the same as the one we tried in Phuket. I love the taste but again the chilli is killing my tongue... Really have to think twice before ordering anything spicy on their menu. Nevertheless, the dish is top notch and I'd encourage you to try it.

Fried Sweet Potato Leaf with Garlic- RM10.90
They forgot about our order of stir fried vegetables that day. Their service was quite bad that day and we didn't really enjoy it. The fried sweet potatoes leaf taste normal, luckily we ordered this dish without chilli (you can order it stir-fried with belacan, of course), at least balanced the whole meal without killing our stomach that day!

Will I come back again? Of course I will, to try out other dishes but I'll be more cautions when ordering. I really do love the authenticity of their dishes. :) 

Carabao Authentic Thai Restaurant
16, Jalan Dato Abdullah Tahir,
80250 Johor Bahru.
Tel. no.: 07-335 9333
Business Hour: 12pm-3pm, 6pm-1am

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share it!